You are here

Last Updated: Monday, September 6, 2021

Help you could receive if you are sick with coronavirus (Statutory Sick Pay)

You can get £96.35 per week Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) if you’re too ill to work. It’s paid by your employer for up to 28 weeks. Anyone with COVID-19 symptoms or a positive test result should stay at home and self-isolate immediately. If you have symptoms of COVID-19, you should arrange to have a PCR test as soon as possible. This still applies even if you have received one or more doses of COVID-19 vaccine.

You should tell your employer as early as possible that you are not able to go to work and ask whether they can provide you with sick pay through an employment scheme or through Statutory Sick Pay (SSP).

If you cannot work because of coronavirus (COVID-19)
You could get SSP if you’re self-isolating because:

  • you or someone you live with has COVID-19 symptoms or has tested positive for COVID-19
  • you’ve been notified by the NHS or public health authorities that you’ve been in contact with someone with COVID-19
  • someone in your support bubble (or your ‘extended household’ if you live in Scotland or Wales) has COVID-19 symptoms or has tested positive for COVID-19
  • you’ve been advised by a doctor or healthcare professional to self-isolate before going into hospital for surgery

Test and Trace Support Payment scheme

You may be entitled to a one-off payment of £500 through the NHS Test and Trace Support Payment scheme if you are required to stay at home and self-isolate or you are the parent or guardian of a child who has been told to self-isolate.  If you think you meet the eligibility criteria for either the Test and Trace Support Payment or a discretionary payment, you can apply through your local council. You can claim up to 42 days after the first day of your self-isolation period.




Apply for a Test and Trace Support Payment - GOV.UK (


 To qualify for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) you must:

  • be classed as an employee and have done some work for your employer
  • earn an average of at least £120 per week
  • have been ill or self-isolating for at least 4 days in a row (including non-working days)
  • How many days you can get SSP for depends on why you’re off work.

Agency workers are entitled to Statutory Sick Pay.

You will need to speak to your employer about SSP. If you think you are entitled to it, but your employer says you’re not, or if you think you are getting the wrong amount, you should contact the HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) payment dispute team by phone (in English) on 0300 322 9422 Monday to Thursday: 8.30am to 5pm
Friday: 8.30am to 4.30pm

You also need to have the legal right to work in the UK to receive Statutory Sick Pay. If you do not, please consult our later sections on other forms of support such as foodbanks and local support services.



Click here for information on Universal Credit and Employment Support Allowance

Click here for information on Food and basic needs.