You are here


  • you’re on a low income or out of work
  • you’re 18 or over (there are some exceptions if you’re 16 to 17)
  • you’re under State Pension age (or your partner is)
  • you and your partner have £16,000 or less in savings between you
  • you live in the UK
  • If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family usually also need settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme to get Universal Credit. The deadline to apply to the scheme was 30 June 2021 for most people, but you might still be able to apply. Check if you can still apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.

To be eligible for ‘New Style’ ESA, you must have worked in the past 2-3 years and have paid enough National Insurance contributions during this time. However, you can have £16,000 or more in savings and you do not need to have access to public funds.
If your claim for ‘New Style’ ESA is denied or you do not think you are eligible for it because you have not paid enough National Insurance contributions but you meet the other criteria, you should contact Universal Credit to discuss your options.



Sort Number: