Visa Extensions and Applications

You are here

Visa Extensions

As part of the UK’s pandemic response, the government had previously allowed many people visas a grace period to stay in the UK after their visas expired. However now that travel restrictions are lifting globally, this has changed. If your visa is expiring, you are expected to take all reasonable steps to leave the UK or apply to regularise your stay in the UK. You are allowed to access Visa and Immigration services as these are considered an essential public service. 

In some special circumstances, if you are still unable to return to your country due to Covid-19 regulations, you may be able to apply for ‘exceptional assurance’ by emailing More information about how to apply is available here: 


For longer-term applications

You can apply from the UK to change to a long-term UK visa. For example, if you are in the UK on a Tier 4 Student visa you can apply to change to a Tier 2 working visa. This includes visa applications that state that you need to apply for a UK visa from your home country.

You must meet the necessary visa requirements and pay the UK application fee. You can apply online here. The terms of your leave will remain the same until your application is decided.

For some UK visa and settlement applications, you’ll need to make an appointment at a Service and Support Centre (SSC)Check if there have been any changes to your service point location because of coronavirus (COVID-19)Do not go to an appointment if you have coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms.

Sort Number: