You are here

Last Updated: Monday, September 6, 2021

Help you could receive if you are self-employed and your income is affected by Covid-19 (Coronavirus Self-Employment Income Support Scheme)


Claim the fifth grant if you think that your business profit will be impacted by coronavirus (COVID-19) between 1 May 2021 and 30 September 2021.

You’ll need to confirm that you meet other eligibility criteria when you make your claim.

You should make your claim on or after the personal claim date HMRC has given you.



The fifth grant is different from previous grants. In most cases, when making your claim you’ll need to tell us about your business turnover so we can work out your grant amount.

Turnover includes the takings, fees, sales or money earned or received by your business.

To make your claim, you’ll need to have 2 different turnover figures. You’ll need to work out your turnover for:

  • April 2020 to April 2021
  • either 2019 to 2020 or 2018 to 2019

We’ll compare these figures to work out how much you’ll get.

You will not be eligible if

  • You work through your own company and pay yourself wages through the PAYE system. However, in this case you may be able to apply for support through the ‘Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme’ (see section on Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme)

  • You are both self -employed and an employee and your tax returns show that you earn more money from your other form of employment.


The amount of the fifth grant will be determined by how much your turnover has been reduced in the year April 2020 to April 2021.

How much your turnover is down by What you’ll get Maximum grant amount
30% or more  
80% of 3 months’ average trading profits
less than 30% 30% of 3 months’ average trading profits £2,850



To allow us to process recently submitted 2019 to 2020 Self Assessment tax returns, the online claims service for the fourth grant will be available from late April 2021 until 31 May 2021.

If you are eligible, HMRC will contact you in mid-April to give you your personal claim date. This will be the date that you can make your claim from.

HMRC are contacting those eligible directly and you will then be able to claim using the GOV.UK online service.


The self-employment income support grant will need to be declared as income when it is paid. As it comes all at once (covering three months) it may cause issues with your universal credit payment for that month. In this case you should reach out to your Universal Credit work coach to alert them to a potential issue.


Click here for information on support for Job Retention Scheme

Click here for information on worker rights